Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Coffer Lock?

Default Coffer Lock?

Hi All,
    To start with, please forgive my ignorance of the correct terminology! I have been collecting old machines and gadgets for many years, including 3 Banbury locks purchased between 5 and 9 years ago. I found another lock today which is what led me to this site. It is quite crudely made and I have not found a makers name. I'm guessing it is a coffer lock as it would have to be at 90º to the jamb, and can be locked by closing the lid instead of turning the key (slam lock?) I think the small link that drives the hooks across to open the lock is broken, it pivots on the hook end but the other end near the key pin is loose. Should it be forked or slotted to allow it to slide over a pin? You can see part of the link in the second picture, between the bar that connects the hooks and the plate with the keyhole in. There are no screws or threads, everything is riveted or swaged. It is 6 1/2" square and the flange is 8 1/2" by 1 3/4". I'd love to know a rough date too!
    Thanks,
    Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P7260002.JPG   p7260003.JPG  

The big problem you are going to have with this is that there is very little that will allow you to date it.

There is no makers name (not unusual)
    There is nothing about the design that helps (yes it could be very old)
    The manner of construction, ie no screws could mean it's old, or could mean that it was made when screws were not available ? (ie wartime / country / provincial manufacture)
    The crudeness of the construction could be an indicator of age or just that it was made by the local blacksmith.

However I would say that it's French or German and is probably going to be pre-1800 in date.

Thanks very much for the info, I'm surprised that it is likely Continental. I picked it up at a local boot sale, but the seller just found it in her garage, and knows nothing of its provenance. Still a nice addition to my collection though:)

Dave.

Default antique chest / coffer lock

If the OP found this lock in East Anglia (he says a local market), then German/Low countries / France as origin need not be so surprising.
    The Hanseatic League flourished 13-17C, started by German merchants. Although it is particularly associated with Baltic trade, league traders also traded with Britain, having an important base in London. In those centuries, before the river silted up and ships became larger, Norwich was a major east coast port, and received much trade from the League. That included, inter alia, ironmongery. Indeed, before our canals were built, sourcing some things in Britain, particularly along the east coast from Essex to Hull, was easier from the continent by ship than from within Britain!
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...roysens_28.jpg

This explains the presence of some continental stock locks, especially in Norfolk (and elsewhere in East Anglia particularly) churches, where they still survive in service.
    Later, refugee Huguenot metalworkers from France and Low Countries settled in East Anglia, particularly Suffolk, and made 'strong German coffers / Flemish kistes' (aka 'Armada Chests').

Some other Huguenot refugees later made it to Willenhall, notably Charles Aubin, and Mr Duce. (I cannot find his Christian name.)

Here is another one which was included in the locks from Harry Miller. Based on my limited expe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20240602_195708747.jpg  

[
    ]Here is another one which was included in the locks from Harry Miller. Based on my limited experience probably the same basic design for hundreds of years.

And yet another one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20240602_195708747.jpg  

Oops wrong picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0850.jpg  

Default antique chest lock

Nicely made key!
    That lock also shows cleverly designed warding, which would be difficult to skeleton.

Thanks and thank you for the history lesson. Kevin Moreau, an exceptional U.S. blacksmith has a video on making a "pinched bow" key so I thought I would try that technique on this key.

Thread Information