Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Chubb Shell Safe

The last inch had a taper with a brass pointy detonator screwed in the end. I am confident that this was (almost) all of the entire projectile which was then put on a lathe and worked on. They had lathes and other equipment near the front lines for the aircraft, tanks and vehicles etc and I have seen some stunning bits of "trench art" that were not done entirely by hand. I think the lock will be the giveaway of whether it was a Chubb item or a project by someone.

A standard 4.5" projectile was closer to 20" long, this is only 10". This is probably a shell that had the ogive parted off and was plugged at one end, a door at the other.

I had a relative who was a 'guest of the emperor' in Malaya. He was gun crew on a 4.5" howitzer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Kremer View Post
    A standard 4.5" projectile was closer to 20" long, this is only 10". This is probably a shell that had the ogive parted off and was plugged at one end, a door at the other.

I had a relative who was a 'guest of the emperor' in Malaya. He was gun crew on a 4.5" howitzer.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	94372302-3AF5-4145-B2AE-66963C9AB095.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	22731

Thread Information