Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Safe ID Tann.

Post Safe ID Tann.

Hey all,

Firstly thanks for your time and efforts.

i acquired this Tann safe and was hoping to get some info on it like model and the type of combinations locks they are so I can look into changing the codes and getting the keys to do this.

The safe in in Australia, there is a serial number (A0814 S) on the door at the top see pictures also attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2668.jpeg   IMG_2670.jpeg   IMG_2665.jpeg   IMG_2676.jpeg   IMG_2675.jpeg  

IMG_2673.jpeg   IMG_2671.jpeg  

If I were you I would dispose of that safe just about as quickly as you can.

The S in the serial number indicates its a ' Smoker ' as such exercise caution and don't be tempted to drill any holes of any size in it.

As to change keys - those are Kromer locks. Not common and not easy to find at all.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    If I were you I would dispose of that safe just about as quickly as you can.

The S in the serial number indicates its a ' Smoker ' as such exercise caution and don't be tempted to drill any holes of any size in it.

As to change keys - those are Kromer locks. Not common and not easy to find at all.
    Why would it be a concern? If I don’t plan on drilling holes in the safe?

The chemicals used are known to degrade, and then expand / leak etc. Sometimes jamming the safe shut and locked in the process. I would not use one, all banks went through a disposal process for them once the problems were known. It's a liability ...

A lot of myths about the chemicals with these safes. The safes that bubble are thought to be the salt content in the sand. I have never seen a leaky smoke tube In the hundreds that I have seen the tubes removed. I have seen the outside weep with rust and the tubes in perfect condition.

On the other hand attack the safe incorrectly can cause serious injury. Drilling and tapping a nameplate put a safemaker in hospital for months. Depending on how you set off a tube they can build pressure and explode. No stopping them when they start.

Is it possible to determine, by inspection, whether the "smoker" apparatus has already been removed? One of the posted pictures shows the interior of the door and boltwork. Where was the smoker installed?

Thread Information