By 1905 Andrew Carnegie had provided funding for the building of 671 libraries in America at a cost of Six Million pounds, and in England 325 libraries at a cost of £1,400,000.
One such undertaking was for the building of a new branch library in West Derby, Liverpool.
The Branch Library which has been erected on the corner of Green Lane, West Derby and Lister Drive, through the munificence of Mr. Andrew Carnegie at the cost of £15,750, was last evening formally opened by Sir. William B. Forwood, chairman of the Library, Museum, and Arts committee. The New Library which has been stocked with 8.500 volumes in all departments of Literature is a handsome structure, built from designs prepared under the direction of the Corporation Surveyor.
The building and ornamental grounds occupy 5.731 square yards of land. The entrance hall is octagonal, with doors radiating to the several departments - lending library, general reading room, women’s reading room, juvenile library, and boys’ reading room.
On each side of the doorways there are two alcoves - one of which will be reserved for a bust of Mr. Carnegie. The wing on the left is the boys’ and girls’ reading room (55 ft by 26 ft); the right wing is the general reading room (66 ft by 30 ft inclusive of bays), whilst the centre of the building is reserved for the public lending library, book storage space and a librarians room. The ladies room (30 ft by 20 ft), with separate entrance from Lister Drive, is quaint and tasteful in design, the building had two storey’s and a basement.
A gold plated silver key was PRESENTED TO SIR W. B. FORWOOD ON HIS OPENING OF THE WEST DERBY ANDREW CARNEGIE LIBRARY.
The head of the key, which is elaborately pierced and carved, contains on one side an enameled view of the library, and above is the crest of Sir W. B. Forwood D. L. J. P. in full heraldic blazon also in enamel.
On the other side the following inscription appears:-
Presented to Sir W B Forwood D.L. J.P. by the Library, Museum, and Arts Committee Liverpool on the opening of the Andrew Carnegie Library West Derby 27th June 1905.
The wards of the key form the initials of the recipient “W. B. F.”
The above is enclosed in a handsome velvet case and was specially designed and manufactured by ELKINGTON AND CO LIMITED, The King’s goldsmiths, 27 and 29 Lord Street Liverpool.
Sir William Forwood said that Mr. Carnegie had written to say he was very much regretted that he could not be present to perform the opening ceremony.


